ARTICLE AD BOX
The Cincinnati Bengals and wide receiver Tee Higgins are once again in contract negotiations, just like last year. Namely, last year the agreement was not reached, so the Bengals were forced to put this reliable catcher under the franchise tag. Now in Ohio, they hope that the situation will not happen again, but, given the circumstances, they are ready to use this option again.
It is very difficult to give the right answer as to what will happen in this situation, considering that all parties want to benefit from this story, and this is a scenario that has no great chance of happening.
Negotiating the future: Will a deal be reached?
Both sides now have two weeks to reach an agreement, from February 18 to March 4. If they can't come to an agreement, the Bengals will likely be forced to put Higgins under the franchise tag again. This move implies that they will pay him 120% of his salary in the last year of the contract, which would amount to about 26.2 million dollars.
Quarterback Joe Burrow insists that Higgins remains in the team, because he is the main pass-catching option after Jamar Chase. Burou is aware of the importance of this player, who is key to the Bengals offense.
Duke Tobin, Cincinnati's director of player personnel, says the situation is not easy, but he still hopes for a solution that would benefit all parties. He is optimistic and believes that in the end everyone will be satisfied. Although he admits that the situation is difficult, he does not doubt that a compromise will be found.
“Let's find something that works for everybody, because he is a guy that we want to have here, and hopefully that can come together, but we have other guys who are trying to take big bites of the apple in other areas, and we're going to have to balance those as we go forward,” Tobin said.